  • Subject: RE: RAWT processing
  • From: Michael hawes <mihawes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:06:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I understand your motivation to use Java and take any
oportunity that may present itself but this seems like
a huge complication for a trivial issue. I assume the
blank screen will be a 5250 screen. If so a more
appropriate solution may be to submit the restore to a
batch queue (Less impact on interactive jobs) and wait
for a reply via maybe a message queue or data queue.

In my opinion (based on what I've readin the past of
IBM's recommendations) RAWT is really only provided to
satisfy SUN's portability requirements and to use in
the case of say, configuring Java stuff on the AS/400
where performance is not an issue.

Because of the way Java works on the AS/400 you should
look for some long-running jobs in order to use Java.
Starting a new Java process is expensive, therfore
ideally you start a Java job once and clients will
request services over a period of time. For example
you may have a Java process(es) running on PC's
comminicating with a Java process (Multiple Threads)
on a server (AS400) communicating via RMI.

What I want to say (poorly?) is Java is not an equal
substitute for existing RPG programs.

Mike
--- Rob Persing <rob.persing@courts.state.pa.us>
wrote: > Joe, you have the correct idea of what I
would like