  • Subject: RE: RAWT processing
  • From: blairw@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:12:12 -0500

Hullo,

Up front, my apologies if this posting looks
strange -- I've had a new mail system foisted
upon me, which will take some getting used to.

>> 1.  If I load java 1.2.2 on my PC, will it
>> conflict with java 1.1.7 on the as/400 system?

Depending on how you set it up, probably yes...

If you try to use the 1.1.7 RAWTGui.zip with a
1.2.2 Java command on the PC you'll probably get
a weird NoClassDefFoundError for:
  netscape.security.ForbiddenTargetException

This is an artifact of the implementation of the
applet support, and fixing it is beyond my
current capabilities...

You can set up your PC to harbor more than one
Java release -- the trick to selecting among them
is the PATH and CLASSPATH settings in a given
MS-DOS prompt session.  So, for instance, if you
had 1.1.7 and 1.2.2 both installed on the PC, then
the 1.2.2 would take precedence unless you manually
altered the PATH.

For instance, in my testing I use a little batch
file that alters the path on my NT box like so
before starting the GUI daemon...  (following
lines may wrap -- sorry).

  SET PATH="C:\jdk1.1.8\bin";%PATH%
  java -classpath C:\some\path\to\RAWTGui.zip;C:\jdk1.1.8\lib\classes.zip
com.ibm.rawt.server.RAWTPCServer

>> 2. If the answer to 1 is yes, then how do I
>> load java 1.2.2 on my as/400 system?

The 1.2 (aka "Java2") support has been available
on V4R4 since about last September, IIRC.  To get
it, you order a PTF.  You need CUM package
C9229440 or later, JV1 *BASE option installed,
and then get the group PTF SF99067.  Then you
install JV1 option 3 and you have 1.2 support.
<whew>

To use the 1.2 support, you need to pass another
property to the JAVA (or RUNJVA) command:
     java.version=1.2
...since the 1.1.x remains the default JDK in V4R4.

>> 3.  How do I learn about the
>> different properties in the RmtAwtServer class?

There isn't a whole lot of documentation available,
unfortunately.  RAWT has primarily been a vehicle for
the AS/400 to obtain Java compliance, and has not
been widely adopted as an integral part of a real
live production "solution."  Early releases of the
1.1.x RAWT, in particular, suffered from some pretty
serious performance bottlenecks, and were effectively
unusable for all but the "lightest-weight" of GUI
applications.  Things have improved lately, but all
the development effort now is on the 1.2 and higher
versions of RAWT -- the 1.1.x version is effectively
frozen (except for bug-fixes).

Having said that, the properties for the RAWTPCServer
class aren't published for the 1.1.x RAWT -- I had to
go to the source code to find the -DendBox for 1.1.x
-- so I'm afraid your best bet is to post to this
bboard -- I'll do the best I can.

>> RUNJVA     CLASS(TestFrame) PROP((RmtAwtServer +
>>              'nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn') (os400.class.path.rawt +
>>              1) ('java version' 1.1))
-------------------------^  : missing a period?

To use the 1.2 support, you'd just replace the 1.1 with
1.2 on the java.version property (and I don't know if
it's just a typo, but you would need the '.' between
'java' and 'version'...)

HTH.

-blair

Blair Wyman -- IBM Rochester -- (507) 253-2891
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -
  and you are the easiest person to fool."   -- Richard P. Feynman

Rob Persing <rob.persing@courts.state.pa.us> on 06/12/2000 10:07:00 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com