  • Subject: Re: jdbc-IBM Connection Manager-Servlets and sql handles
  • From: cujo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:18:06 -0600

>I personally think your suggestion is great.  <...>  The Sun
>java.sql.Connection documentation says that Connection.close() will
release
>all database and jdbc resources.  To me this means the Connection class
has
>the ability to find out which resources (like Statement objects which have
>allocated sql handles) are associated with the Connection.  Now since I am
>using the IBM connection manager, I have to let the connection manager
>open/close connections anyway.  Seems to me the connection manager has all
>the information needed to clean up the resources when I release the
>connection.  Of course there could be lots of tech hurdles of which I am
>unaware.

Here is the line that is in error:
"Seems to me the connection manager has all the information needed to clean
up the resources when I release the connection."

You are right that there are no serious technical hurdles.  I think the
only thing you are missing is the concept of all the levels in place from
the raw database up to where your application sits.  I sit in the middle
(and can only see a couple levels in each direction, but think I can
explain why you don't have the behavior you suggest today).

You are right that the JDBC drivers have to keep track of everything so
that Connection.close() can close the statement handles under it (in the
same way that Statement.close() can close the ResultSet cursors open under
it).  The problem is that the JDBC specification doesn't provide a common
mechanism for a connection to spew information about the statements that
are under it.

The problem is that a connection manager built on top of JDBC has access to
the connection object that they are pooling, but no way to find out all the
statements.  If there was a standard enumeration interface for the
Statements under a connection, doing this cleanup for the user would be
trivial at the connection manager level.  Without that, it is still trivial
if you are writing code for one system that is going to use one JDBC
driver.  Not so simple when you write for many platforms and many JDBC
drivers.

Interestingly (to me, maybe not to the rest of you), it is exactly the fact
that the JDBC driver has to hang onto these references that messes
everything (instead of making the solution).  Here is why:

1) The JDBC driver has to call all the closes on the statements when the
connection.close() is called.
2) Therefore it has to keep references to the Statements in the Connection
close (or else what would I call close on)
3) Because of the references to the Statements in the connection (which is
still active - this is a connection pool) the garbage collector can't
destroy these objects (that is run the object finalizers - which would
release the SQL handles).
4) When the user tried to get a statement and had run out of handles (a
specific AS/400 Error), I can catch it and clean up the handles not in use
anymore, but I have no clue which ones are not in use at the JDBC driver
level.  Therefore my hands end up tied as well.

I have been doing a little reading about object references that would still
allow the garbage collector to run (recent Dr. Dobb's issue), and will
perhaps find a solution along these lines.  Another area we have
investigated is a callback mechinism from the CLI to the JDBC driver on
connection close.  This would allow the JDBC driver to not have the object
references and the garbage collector could be used to free resources.

I will propose that we do something in this area (just a matter of finding
the time to fully do something), but I hope this gives some background as
to why it doesn't happen today.

BTW:  I really appreciate this kind of posting in this group, Alex and
Gary.  For you to have issues, bring them forward, suggest how to work
around them and post the solutions that exist today does wonderful things
for our other customers.  It also helps people like myself work out how
best to prioritize and understand what we can do to help our customers.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why
WILL you say that I am mad?
The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. "

- Edgar Allan Poe
"The Tell-Tale Heart"

"Alex Garrison" <agarrison@logtech.com> on 01/12/2000 07:49:25 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com