  • Subject: RE: ASCII to EBCDIC
  • From: Adolfo López Escribano <escriban@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:01:54 +0100

You can use iconv api in AS/400 to do it but I think that is better option
that you send EBCDIC data to the AS/400 instead ASCII, you release AS/400 to
do this task.
you can use toolbox AS400Text do it . The next its my client class code, you
can adaptate it.

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class clientJAVA {
     private Socket socket = null;
     private BufferedInputStream reader = null;
     private BufferedWriter writer = null;
     private DataOutputStream os = null;
     private DataInputStream is = null;

    private ConexionClienteJAVA() {
      super();
     }

    public cientJAVA(String serverStr, int port) throws Exception {
      super();
      InetAddress serverAddress = InetAddress.getByName(serverStr);
      socket = new Socket(serverAddress, port);
      socket.setSoTimeout(10000);
      os = new DataOutputStream(socket.getOutputStream());
      is = new DataInputStream(socket.getInputStream());
     }

     public void close() throws Exception {
      socket.close();
      }

     public void write(String linea) throws Exception {
          com.ibm.as400.access.AS400Text textConverter = new
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400Text(linea.length());
          String aux;
          byte[] ebcdicStr = textConverter.toBytes(linea);
          os.write(ebcdicStr);
          aux = leer();
     }

     public String read() throws Exception {
          int textLength = 100;
          String linea = null;
          com.ibm.as400.access.AS400Text textConverter = new
com.ibm.as400.access.AS400Text(textLength);
          byte[] data = new byte[textLength];
          int length = is.read(data, 0, textLength);
          linea = ((String) textConverter.toObject(data)).substring(0,
length);
          return linea;

          try{
               clientJAVA c = new clientJAVA( "AS400M", 3771 );
               c.write( "Hola ");
          }catch( Exception e ){
               System.err.println( "Error: "+ e );