  • Subject: RE: Follow up to the Java Applet Question.
  • From: "THORN Serge (GVA)" <Serge.THORN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:24:08 +0200

Richard,
we have made some tests with Symantec Cafe, JBuilder, and VisualAge for Java
Enterprise 2.0. This latest is without doubt the best IDE integrated with
the AS/400. You will find many useful info on the websites, newsgroups, etc.

1.I do not see why you need to launch your application from DOS, you could
hide the stuff behind an Icon?
2.As you probably know there is a major difference between a Java Applet and
a Java Application. The Applet is launched from the Web browser, from an
HTTP server (e.g. HTTP Server for AS/400). The Applet runs in an sandbox
which prevents any unauthorised access to your workstation or Network. You
get in fact a higher level of security. Then you do not have any code on the
clients which gives you a lot of flexibility for release management,
deployment, etc. If your applets run in an Intranet and you can impose a
specific OS, browser, and JVM, everything runs fine. If you applets run on
the Internet, you will probably test it in various configurations (OS,
browsers, JVM). Pay also attention to the size of your Applet and try to
keep the Business Logic as much as you can on the AS/400 in order to
minimise the download time. Most of the site I have seen on the Web (mainly
Banking sites), define standards for the users (use of MS IE 4.0.1 or
Netscape 4.5..etc..).

Don't forget that you can also use other technics like Servlets and JSP.

For applications, you must of course take into account the release
management like any other PC Application. As already said, you will probably
use more graphical functions (like the JFC- SWING 1.2) and be able to run it
on various type of operating systems.

To conclude, it depends really on your needs and your targeted users!

I hope this is useful for you!

Best regards

Serge