I run multiple versions of domino on a single lpar. On one machine if I
do
DSPPTF 5733L85 I will see this long list:
PTF
ID
L603893
L603641
L603374
FP68531
FP68523
FP68522
FP68521
FP68515
FP68514
FP68513
FP68512
FP68511
However, if I break this down into
DSPPTF LICPGM(5733L85) RLS(V8R5M3)
PTF
ID
L603893
FP68531
DSPPTF LICPGM(5733L85) RLS(V8R5M2)
PTF
ID
L603641
FP68523
FP68522
FP68521
DSPPTF LICPGM(5733L85) RLS(V8R5M1)
PTF
ID
L603374
FP68515
FP68514
FP68513
FP68512
FP68511
Kind of ties in with WRKDOMSVR, F11 and
Domino Domino
Server Subsystem Library Release
XDEK01 XDEK01 QDOMINO853 8.5.3
XQP02 XQP02 QDOMINO851 8.5.1
SAMETIME03 SAMETIME03 QDOMINO852 8.5.2
INTERNOTES INTERNOTES QDOMINO853 8.5.3

I would install 8.5.3. Upgrade your domino server to 8.5.3 (UPDDOMSVR).
DLTLICPGM the old one and call it a day. Now if you had upgraded from
8.5.1 to 8.5.3 you would just DLTLICPGM an option and not the whole thing.
But there's a different LPP for 8.0 and 8.5.
Should you RMVPTF and DLTPTF the hotfixes prior to DLTLICPGM? If for no
other reason than to ensure it didn't leave goofy files like
Object Type Library Attribute
QFP68531 *FILE QDOMINO853 SAVF
Not sure.

Now for the usual disclaimers.
Read this:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/resources/systems_power_ibmi_lotus_releasesupport.pdf
make sure 8.5.3 will run on your current release of OS. (I don't remember
that.)
Check out companion products.
Look for stuff like what changed between the old and new. A sample might
be out of office. Or DAOS or new compression features, or...
Take advantage of new features that appeal to you. Look for any gotchas.