   To: Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   From: "Patrick Trapp" <ptrapp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Sent by: domino400-bounces+tkreimer=infoalt.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Date: 08/10/2006 09:29AM
   Subject: Re: Best Practices

   Yeah, I didn't try to quote the entire section of book -- we all know I'm
   wordy enough without plagiarizing in my posts.  Right now, my pool size is
   at the default 748 and my %reads yesterday are running 98% - 99%.  Today,
   the numbers are more reasonable, but they still indicate that a change is
   in order.

   Thanks for the confirmation.

   Patrick

              Chris Whisonant
              <Chris.Whisonant@
              comporium.com>                                             To
              Sent by:                  Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
              domino400-bounces         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
              +ptrapp=nex-tech.                                          cc
              com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        Subject
                                        Re: Best Practices
              08/10/2006 07:15
              AM

              Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
                 the iSeries /
                 AS400
              <domino400@midran
              ge.com>

   That sounds about right. What's your current pool size? If you drop it and
   the %reads goes below 95%, then you should raise it. Also, it's generally
   recommended to raise or lower the buffer pool in increments of 10%.

   Something else I found out is that if you don't define the buffer pool
   size, then the defaults are as follows:

   NSF Buffer Pool ? how size is set
   Domino R5 - Set to 300 MB by default on iSeries
   Domino 6 - Set to 748 MB by default on iSeries
   Domino 7 - Set to 748 MB by default on iSeries

   What to monitor when fine tuning
   Non-database paging faulting = < 100 faults/processor
   Database.BufferPool.PercentReadsInBuffer >= 95%
   Database.DbCache.MaxEntries = 3 X BufferPool

   Chris Whisonant
   Comporium
   Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
   IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
   IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
   IBM Certified Associate Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
   803.326.7270

   domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
   08/09/2006 05:08:53 PM: