     To: domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     From: GKern@= toledoclinic.com
     Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     Date: 06/08/= 2004 01:57PM
     Subject: ScanMail 2.6 SP1upgrade from SM 2.51- Comments.<BR= >
     This is an FYI for anyone who's intere= sted.

     During my recent upgrade to R6.5.1,  I uninstalled ScanMa= il 2.51
     before
     the R6.5.1 upgrade and then did a 'fresh' install of SM = 2.6 SP1
     afterwards.

     One of the new features of SM2.6 SP1 is the = ability to download and
     install new scan engines automatically, just li= ke you do for the virus
     pattern files.

     During the SM setup, whil= e using the CFGSM command, I tried to set up
     the
     temporary directories = according to the readme.txt (dated January 23,
     2004)
     that accompanited = the SM2.6 SP1 downloaded from the TrendMicro
     website. I
     tried four time= s in fact, and each time the temporary directories were
     not
     created. I = ended up creating the required directories manually via
     OpsNav,
     and the= n changing the owner and the authorities of each diretory.

     After get= ting the setup completed, and according to the
     recommendations in
     the r= eadme, I was instructed to update the virus pattern and scan
     engine
     to = ensure I had the latest products available.

     Each time I tried this, = I only got the latest virus pattern file. I
     could
     not get the latest sc= an engine. Each time I got the following error:

     "Either creating or = deleting the directory under the destination
     directory
     was not successf= ul, or there was a file access error."

     So I ended up doing a manual = download and install of the latest scan
     engine. Everything seems to be = working.

     Be aware that the readme.txt leaves a lot to be desired - e= specially
     section 6. If you look closely at their examples (item #2) yo= u'll see
     command line example and an F4=Prompt example. Note the us= e of
     different
     parameter values for the temporary directories parm in t= heir examples
     -
     the command line example shows a parm with only one quo= te and the
     other
     example has the slash following the parm value whereas= the command line
     example shows it preceeding the parm value!!

     T= hen in the readme, in the NOTE section regarding the Server Name
     (just
     = below the item #2 described above) there is another NOTE that is
     missing <B= R>from the downloaded readme, which I found in the exact
     same readme
     do= cument (same date - 1/23/2004) online at TM's website containing a
     seco= nd NOTE that refers to the possiblility that if you get the above
     error= message during the config of SM2.6 SP1, you may have to change
     the
     QNO= TES profile from a user type of *USER to *SECOFR.

     I found this seco= nd NOTE by doing a google search on that exact error
     message text strin= g.

     So I changed the QNOTES user type (against the wishes of all the
Domino
     documentation). But still any attempt to download the latest sca= n
     engine
     resulted in the same error being generated.

     Soooo... I= then called Trend support first thing Monday morning and got
     speak = with someone in India. His comment was that the scan engine
     update
     fail= ed since there is not a new one to be installed. I suppose that
     could
     b= e true, but the nature of the error message, specifically "there was
     = file access error." to me indicates an authority error, and I got that
     = error the first time I tried to run the live update which should have
     i= nstalled the newer scan engine (the one I had to manually install).
     <BR= >In the meantime I've gone through the IFS to ensure the the
     temporary
     = directory paths are named correctly and use all lowercase characters.
     C= hecked and rechecked the owner and authorities of the temporary
     directo= ries.

     I'm going to change QNOTES back to a *USER and test to ensure = the
     virus
     pattern updates are still downloaded and installed.

     I = convinced that TrendMicro doesn't fully understand IFS security.

     The= other thing that I experienced was when I tried to do a "load
     pupdate' <BR= >to initiate a live update, if I ran it from the Domino
     Administrator
     c= onsole, the domino server crashed. If I ran the same command from the
     g= reen-screen domino console, it ran just fine.

     Anyone with any simila= r experience regarding the process of upgrading
     of
     this product?
     <BR= >Regards, Jerry

     Gerald Kern
     IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer= & RPG IV Programmer
     MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administ= rator
     The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
     4235 Secor Road
     Toledo, OH 43623-429= 9
     Phone 419-479-5535
     gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     This is the Lotus Domino o= n the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing
     list
     To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options= ,
     visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400     or email:
Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
     Before posting, please take= a moment to review the archives
     at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.<B= R>