This is an FYI for anyone who's interested.

During my recent upgrade to R6.5.1,  I uninstalled ScanMail 2.51 before
the R6.5.1 upgrade and then did a 'fresh' install of SM 2.6 SP1
afterwards.

One of the new features of SM2.6 SP1 is the ability to download and
install new scan engines automatically, just like you do for the virus
pattern files.

During the SM setup, while using the CFGSM command, I tried to set up the
temporary directories according to the readme.txt (dated January 23, 2004)
that accompanited the SM2.6 SP1 downloaded from the TrendMicro website. I
tried four times in fact, and each time the temporary directories were not
created. I ended up creating the required directories manually via OpsNav,
and then changing the owner and the authorities of each diretory.

After getting the setup completed, and according to the recommendations in
the readme, I was instructed to update the virus pattern and scan engine
to ensure I had the latest products available.

Each time I tried this, I only got the latest virus pattern file. I could
not get the latest scan engine. Each time I got the following error:

"Either creating or deleting the directory under the destination directory
was not successful, or there was a file access error."

So I ended up doing a manual download and install of the latest scan
engine. Everything seems to be working.

Be aware that the readme.txt leaves a lot to be desired - especially
section 6. If you look closely at their examples (item #2) you'll see a
command line example and an F4=Prompt example. Note the use of different
parameter values for the temporary directories parm in their examples -
the command line example shows a parm with only one quote and the other
example has the slash following the parm value whereas the command line
example shows it preceeding the parm value!!

Then in the readme, in the NOTE section regarding the Server Name (just
below the item #2 described above) there is another NOTE that is missing
from the downloaded readme, which I found in the exact same readme
document (same date - 1/23/2004) online at TM's website containing a
second NOTE that refers to the possiblility that if you get the above
error message during the config of SM2.6 SP1, you may have to change the
QNOTES profile from a user type of *USER to *SECOFR.

I found this second NOTE by doing a google search on that exact error
message text string.

So I changed the QNOTES user type (against the wishes of all the Domino
documentation). But still any attempt to download the latest scan engine
resulted in the same error being generated.

Soooo... I then called Trend support first thing Monday morning and got to
speak with someone in India. His comment was that the scan engine update
failed since there is not a new one to be installed. I suppose that could
be true, but the nature of the error message, specifically "there was a
file access error." to me indicates an authority error, and I got that
error the first time I tried to run the live update which should have
installed the newer scan engine (the one I had to manually install).

In the meantime I've gone through the IFS to ensure the the temporary
directory paths are named correctly and use all lowercase characters.
Checked and rechecked the owner and authorities of the temporary
directories.

I'm going to change QNOTES back to a *USER and test to ensure the virus
pattern updates are still downloaded and installed.

I convinced that TrendMicro doesn't fully understand IFS security.

The other thing that I experienced was when I tried to do a "load pupdate'
to initiate a live update, if I ran it from the Domino Administrator
console, the domino server crashed. If I ran the same command from the
green-screen domino console, it ran just fine.

Anyone with any similar experience regarding the process of upgrading of
this product?

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern
IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer & RPG IV Programmer
MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535