> From: Ben_Pforsich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Thanks everyone for the quick replies!  I wasn't aware of the
> LPEX editor. Do I get there from clicking on the Websphere
> Development Studio desktop icon?

The LPEX editor is part of the Remote Systems Explorer perspective in WDSc.
Perspectives are a part of the base Eclipse framework that WDSc is built on.

<unabashed self-promotion> I just published a book called Eclipse Step by
Step, available at www.mc-store.com/5059.html and also at Amazon.com that
will teach you the basics of using Eclipse, including perspectives and
editors and all that good stuff </promotion>.

>  Speaking of which, when I
> do click on that, it takes 2 minutes for the window to pop up.
>  Is that normal for everyone?  I'm running v5.0.1 on
> Win2000 SP3 with 1.6 GHz and 512 MB RAM.  Is Websphere that
> bloated that it needs MORE than 512MB???

Eclipse is Java-based, and because of that it requires a ton of memory and
has a long initial startup time.  I run on a 1.6GHz Pentium with 1GB and it
takes a little over two minutes the first time it loads and 40 seconds on
subsequent loads.  On a 2.4GHz Pentium laptop with 512MB, it still requires
a couple of minutes to load the first time, and only 20 seconds on
subsequent loads.  My guess is that a lot of the initial load has to do with
The motto of the story?  When you shut down your machine, use Hibernate mode
if possible.

Also, your startup times will vary based on how much stuff you have open
when you end WDSC.  WDSC reopens the views you had open, so that can take
time as well.

Joe