> what about add-ins, macros, etc.  is there a public repository of these
> types of things that I might find useful?

Macros are great, but not necessary to get up and running.  I think there
are some on the faq.midrange.com

> What features or tricks do use on a daily basis, that you couldn't live
> without, that may not be obvious to a newby.

ALT-L to highlight a line, ALT-D to delete a line, ALT-C to copy a line.  I
probably use those keys more than any other.

At work (where the as400 is) I use a combination of PDM and Code.  I compile
everything via PDM, I launch CODE from PDM, I use PDM as my work bench.

At home, I use CPO (Code Project Organizer).  With CPO, you create a project
then define a local directory for your source and one or more Member
filters.  Gotcha here:  Do not use any spaces in the directory names.  If
you want to use a directory which has embedded blanks in the name, use the
squiggle notation.  Ex: Bad--> C:\Program Files  Use instead -->
C:\progra~1.  I have maybe hundreds created - basically one per project.

Create a directory on your PC for your source code that IS NOT in the WDTS
directory.  This way you can easily zap WDTS and not lose your source.
Also, makes it much easier to backup.  Gotcha:  All that nice information
such as where the source file resides on the as400 is stored in the windows
registry.  This means if you move a source file on your PC from folder A to
folder B, you LOSE THAT INFO.

Once you create a member filter, and download the list into the CPO, you can
right-click one of the member names and select 'Get from Host'.  It will
download it to your PC into the directory you defined.  You can select many
to download at once.  You know it worked if the message says GET OK.  If it
doesn't say that, it wasn't downloaded.  When you're looking at members in
the local filter, there is a similar option called 'Put to Host'.

Verify - I use that all the time.  First time, you want to select 'Verify
with prompt', and select the cache options.  This will download file
definitions.  From then on, simply select Verify and the verify will occur
without having to go to the as400 -- unless you change a file, of course!

Even from home, I compile from PDM.

Last tidbit: Rings.  I hate all my source windows stuck in one window.  I
like all my source files to open up their own editor window so I can move
them around easily.  Unless you want to restrain all of your source files in
the same editor window, in the CODE editor select 'Windows|Ring Manager',
then in the ring manager select 'Selected|All new rings'.  I am 95.7% sure
that's how you do it. :)

Jon Paris' CODE Quick Start Guide pdf is very good and getting you started.
If you have trouble defining the server (not to be confused with a STRCODE
server - from home I never use a STRCODE server.  At work, I always use a
STRCODE server.), use the Communications wizard rather than going into the
communications daemon.  Works much better (this is for WDTS 5.1 only, btw.)

I tried to cram as many things as possible here as possible so you can work
during Thanksgiving. :)

If you installed WSDc 4.0 instead of WDTS 5.1, then you can use the LPEX
editor instead of the CODE editor.  But it isn't as feature-rich as CODE is
(yet).  The CPO exists in WSDc but you don't need to use it.  Instead you
can use the Remote Systems Explorer (RSE).  But that's another mailing list
(WSDC-L)  . . .

> any other gotchas or additional advice you can give me will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick

good luck,