 >> Instead, I get a message on the AS400 saying the job completed normally,
even when it doesn't compile!

I can't give you a definitive answer but I can tell you one place to look.
We had this recently on a customer site and although we never fully
explained it, it was related to the Job profile being used for batch.  The
JobD on the user profile was a really strange one that just didn't work
properly (it was pointing to a command interpreter that appeared to be valid
only for interactive jobs - we suspect it was a legacy thing that never
impacts them because the JobD changes depending on options they select while
logging on).  When they used an interactive session the JobD was changed
during their initial log on process to a valid one and so the problem did
not appear.  The job log didn't help much - didn't even give a decent
failure code.  All was well when the JobD on the user profile was changed.

Jon Paris
Partner400