Hi.

I'm new to the AS400 and Websphere Dev Tools, CODE tools, etc. and am
trying to get my bearings.
I'm not even sure if these tools are applicable to my situation.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my situation:

I'm working on porting a fairly large C application from Unix to
AS400.  Working natively on the AS400 (using the client access
emulator), I've been able to compile all the modules with the CRTCMOD
command and to create the PGM file.  I've also experimented slightly
with running the program in the debugger (again over the emulator).
All the source code is on the AS400, it is not currently on my local
pc.

I'm now especially interested in seeing if I have any better debugging
options.  I've loaded the Websphere Dev Tools and I'm experimenting
and keep running into roadblocks.

Specifically I've tried 2 things:

1) I opened the CODE Project Organizer, created a project, and added
one filter for the PGM in my library.  My PGM file correctly shows up
in the right side panel.  Right clicking on it seems to give several
debugging options.  "Host Debug" seems to work, but it runs in the
attached emulator window and offers no gui advantages.  Both of the
other debug options appear to execute a CODEDBG command, but both fail
with the error, "The name specified is not recognized as an internal
or external command, operating program, or batch file.".  Also the
Help buttons don't work in here (I've seen mention of that in other
messages and am researching that.)

2) I also tried loading the "IBM Distributed Debugger", which is
currently listed under the "Visual Age for Java" program group.  I
chose File->Load Program, then went to the AS400 tab, entered my
<library name>/<pgm name> as the name of program to be debugged, and
clicked the "Load" button.  I got an AS400 login prompt, where I
entered my login and password (and thought "so far so good").  Then
comes up a "starting" dialog with a slider bar the seems to indicate
that the program is loading.  However, it never goes away, and nothing
happens from there.

Are one or both of these tools applicable in the situation that I
currently have?  I'm especially thinking of C code, residing on AS400
and not locally.  I'm looking to have a gui debugging environment with
a call stack, etc.

I'm not opposed to keeping the source locally if that would be better.

Thanks very much for any advice or information.

Morgan