Okay, let's tackle this one step at a time...

> If I understand correctly, you have a CL program (or few CL
> programs) that
> eventually call RPG.

Correct

> Here is the simplest way to get you going:
>    Get a 5250 session and figure out its job number
>    Bring up the Distributed Debugger (make sure 'Attach'
> dialog is up).

There is no attach dialog.  I have 'Load Program', 'Attach Service' or
'Attach JVM'.  I'm quite certain I don't want either of these "attach"
options...  right?  So, i select 'Load Program'

>    Enter job name of your 5250 session in the following format:
>    jobName/userName/jobNumber
>    Enter the name of your RPG program in the 'Program to add to debug'
>    field.
>    Make sure your RPG program is compiled with debug data
>    Select 'Step Into' checkbox and press 'Attach' button

No problem until you mention the 'Attach' button.  Don't have one.

This must be a 5.1 option?