Hi David,

I'll try to tackle your question 1:

Distributed Debugger should support OPM languages just fine (but if I
remember correctly,
there are few extra features available for the ILE).
If I understand correctly, you have a CL program (or few CL programs) that
eventually call RPG.
Here is the simplest way to get you going:
   Get a 5250 session and figure out its job number
   Bring up the Distributed Debugger (make sure 'Attach' dialog is up).
   Enter job name of your 5250 session in the following format:
   jobName/userName/jobNumber
   Enter the name of your RPG program in the 'Program to add to debug'
   field.
   Make sure your RPG program is compiled with debug data
   Select 'Step Into' checkbox and press 'Attach' button
   You will be asked to call your application in your 5250. Call your CL
   program that starts the application and press OK on the message box.

     If all of your CL code has no debug data, you will stop in your RPG
     program (which must have debug data)
     If any of your CL programs do have debug data, you will stop in the
     very first one that does. Switch to the 'Programs' pane at the top
     left corner of the debugger workbook. You should see your RPG program
     there. Browse its source and set a line breakpoint appropriately. Now
     you can simply run to a breakpoint in your RPG code.

NOTE:  this scenario is made simpler in V5R1 release of the Distributed
Debugger, but it requires V5R1 backend.

Hope this helps,
Vadim Berestetsky
Distributed Debugger Development
Internet:  berestet@ca.ibm.com

"David Schopp" <dschopp@imt.net>@midrange.com on 12/06/2001 03:06:51 PM

Please respond to code400-l@midrange.com

Sent by:  code400-l-admin@midrange.com

cc:
Subject:  Debug revisited

I'm running WDT v4r5 and am trying to run the distributed debugger without
success.  I followed the instructions in previous threads, but since the
instructions referred to the v5r1 version, I could only go so far before I
ran into difficulties.

I'm trying to debug an RPG program that's several call levels deep,
starting
with a call to a CL program.  All these objects are OPM - not ILE.

Question 1:  Does the distributed debugger work for OPM objects?  If so,
how
the heck do I get it to work!  :-D

Question 2:  Is it possible to get the upgrade to WDT 5.1, even though
we're
not planning to upgrade to the OS level for another 6 months?  Is there a
place on the 'net I can download the updates?  Somehow to order update CDs?

Thanks in advance.

David Schopp
WISDM Team Leader
Computers Unlimited