Mike, Reeve, and Hak:

I don't think it's RT314.  Here's why:  When trying to get the distributed
debugger to work, I had to tell the network guy to open up a port (forget
which) on the firewall in front of the as/400.  It still didn't work, but he
said he could see that the outbound packets were being denied out but he
didn't know why.  I couldn't afford to spend anymore time on it so that's as
far we got.  But, it suggests an issue with the firewall in front of the
as/400.

I can do a STRCODE session with the IP address that is associated with my
RT314, and then prompt CL (the old way, not the gui way), RMVM, etc.

I can submit the compile, but like Reeve, get no feedback - except for the
red highlighted status bar at the bottom (like you get when GET FROM HOST)
but it flashes just for a second so I have no idea what the text was.

For the compile, is there a particular port that must be open on my router?
I think for the distributed debugger I needed 4200 and for something else
3001 open.  Is there a port or service that needs to be open on the firewall
in front of the as/400?

As for PC firewalls, I use both Norton Internet Security and Zone Alarm.
Why not be doubly safe?  I thought that perhaps I inadvertantly set up a
rule to deny the traffic but Reeve says he's not using a firewall product so
that's probably not it.

I think this is an important question because more and more people are
working from home (see the current issue of Selling eServer Solutions) but
if we spend too much time (and money) getting online or staying online then
we'll never reach distributed employment nirvana ;O-)

Phil