Hi Reve,

CODE _should_ work just peachy with your configuration.  As Hak indicates
it is most likely just a configuration exercise :-).  Currently I'm
connected to work (in the dining room) via VPN through a wireless access
point to my local (house) LAN which is connect to the internet via cable
through a LinkSys router (Similar to your NetGear I expect).  I can run
WebFacing, edit files, whatever I've tried all works (which is simply
marvellous on winter days when the drive to work is intolerable).

I don't think that CODE/400 needs to "know" you IP address does it?  For
me the current local address on the machine is 192.168.1.100 as supplied
by the LinkSys DHCP server.  However, external to the LinkSys it is
something entirely different, in your terminology 209.50.yadda.yadda.  I
can see the real address by going to an external site that will return the
IP address it sees like http://www.hockings.net/java-server/index.jsp.

Now, if you are _NOT_ using something like VPN to connect then the
firewall at the AS/400 end may be deflecting any attempt that you might
make to connect and that may have to be configured appropriately.  I
suspect that the port(s) that CODE uses to connect to the host are
documented somewhere :-).  Should you be using the old STRCODE
communications then I suspect that you will need to configure your NetGear
to forward the specified port connection request to a designated machine.

When you use a dial-up connection are your dialling in to an external ISP
or  to your AS/400 (or some access point on the same intranet?

Kind regards,

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
WebSphere Development Tools for AS/400  -  CODE/Designer & WebFacing !
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@ca.ibm.com
voice 905 413 3199

Please respond to code400-l@midrange.com