And Vadim just got off the phone with me.  I can't debug a batch job if the
job is on hold.  While this was a limitation of STRDBG/STRISDB this
condition is no longer supposed to apply to the debugger.  We tried the
kill job fix that you had, although my status was a little different.  I
had to open a pmr.

Still - a good level of support.

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    Chris Proctor
                    <cproctor@gartspor       To:     "CODE400-L (E-mail)"
<CODE400-L@midrange.com>
                    ts.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                 Fax to:
                    code400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     A BIG HUGE THANKS to
Vadim! He helped me understand what has
                    drange.com                to b   e done to make the
debugger work!!

                    11/14/2001 11:33
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    code400-l

Hi all!!

Well, Vadim called me and stepped me through the debug process. Hopefully,
this will help those of us, Dave, ;-) who have been having problems with
the
debugger. I will attempt to document in this email the steps I used.
Perhaps
Vadim can validate what I put here.

1. Sign on an AS/400 session.
2. Set your library list for the program you want to debug.
3. Display your job (DSPJOB) to get the session info (job,user, number).
4. Start the distributed debugger.
5. When the attach dialog appears, enter  /<user name>/ in the "job to
debug" field and click on the job list button.
6. From the list, select the job associated with your AS/400 session.
    Note: When I clicked on the button, the job list dialog came up blank.
So, Vadim had me do a work active jobs (WRKACTJOB) on              my
AS/400 session
and go to the QSYSWRK subsystem.  I was looking for a job called Q5BWHSRV.
found one that had a           status of RUN, so he had me cancel it
immediate.
Then, when I went back to the debugger attach dialog, clicked on the job
list button it displayed the job(s) properly.
7. Enter the name of the program you want to debug in the "Specify the name
of the program to add to debug" field.
8. If needed, click the Debugger Setting button and click on the update
production checkbox.
9. Click on the attach button.
10. Once the debugger attaches to the job (your AS/400 session), a message
will be displayed that says, "Start your application in job
"<your job
information>" on AS/400 Host "<your host information>" and press the OK
button to continue"
11. Return to your AS/400 session and, on a command line, call your program
(ie. CALL PGM(TESTPGM)).
12. Return to the message and click on the OK button.
13. At this point you can return to the debugger and wait for it to display
your code with a breakpoint at the first debuggable line.

Nothing to it, huh? Phewwwww!!! ha ha.

Thanks again, Vadim! The IBM support of this product is very impressive!

Chris Proctor
Manager Systems Integration
Gart Sports
Denver