  • Subject: RE: Code/400 helpless
  • From: hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:03:27 -0500

For those that are helpless, well maybe not "helpless" but rather "without help" you might say....  Here are the instructions from our now locally-recognized expert-in-such-things (i.e., he helped at least one person fix something remotely like this at least once :-).  If this does not seem to help let us know.

Kind regards,

Mike

General things that can go wrong are:
  1. Help didn't install correctly
  2. the httpdl server that help relies on isn't starting up correctly
  3. other things

    The httpdl server not running is one of the easier things to identify. To check this, in a command prompt (DOS window,) go to the directory the help server is installed in. Usually it's a directory like X:\imnnq_2000 or X:\imnnq_nt and -enter the command nqdetach httpdl.exe -r httpd.cnf
    If this returns with the error "Binding the socket failed, then an httpdl.exe process is probably already running on port 49213" then the Help server is already running and we'd need to find another source for the problem.

    If the command returns you to a command prompt, look in the Windows Task Manager list to see if there is an httpdl.exe process running in the background. If so, try launching Help again. If Help works, then the server was not starting automatically; there are various ways to deal with this unless you find starting it manually not too much of an inconvenience.

    You can also try the command httpdl -r httpd.conf if there's an issue with nqdetach -- although this will lock the DOS window until cntrl+break is entered.

    There is more where this came from so if you are still stuck with this problem there are more "tricks up our (collective) sleeve."

    Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
    IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
    hockings@ca.ibm.com

    You wrote :

    I believe that I missed part of this discussion on the help function within the
    CODE editor.

    We just installed WDT/400 in our labs and the F1 help key does not work. In some
    documentation, it states to "ensure that your Web browsers bypass the proxy
    server for the server name localhost." I'm told that we cannot do this.

    How do I get my F1 help working within CODE/400?

    Jim

    Jim Cooper
    Lambton College