  • Subject: Problems with validation messages on VARPG projects
  • From: flagler@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:20:09 -0500

FROM:   FLAGLER  KEENE     Flagler, Rick: Manager, IT

DATE:   MARCH 10, 2000
SUBJECT:        Problems with validation messages on VARPG projects

Alan,

your explanation was very good. I can see now how the looping was
triggered. In fact, the original code did NOT have any "visual effects"
performed by the programmer and was supposed to rely on VARPG engine to
do it. But because of the LOSTFOCUS event, I think that created the
problem which I sought to fix by coding it myself and disconnecting the
validation. I put both in to show "listeners" here what the alternatives
were. Thank you for responding. I agree that VARPG could be improved by
additional BIFs or attributes related to validation. If you could code:

D Passed_my_window_Checks      C    1
D Failed_my_window_Checks      C    0

C       IF %getatr(%window:%part:'validation')=Passed_my_window_Checks
                --- ok code --
        ELSE
                --- error visual stuff code ---
        END

That would be a help for developers. Can you get that into M3? <grin>

Also, if you REFERENCE a field to a file on the AS/400, is there a way to
get the library of the referenced field on the VARPG field properties to
say *LIBL? If you reference and test in one library and then move the DB
file to another library (putting into production), how are you supposed
to re-reference the fields to the right file? Does it matter? VARPG never
goes back to the referening file again during execution, right? It seems
not to during compiles either. Seems inappropriate to change ODF to Ascii
and find/replace it there from one library to another, but that works
unless you hose you ODF file. If you change the library list of the
AS/400 job and recompile, it's not supposed to change the reference stuff
either, right? For now, we have assumed that as long as the referenced DB
and the production DB are the same, it doesn't matter what the ref field
is pointing at, but if I was writing for the green screen, that would be
a no-no. If you've got an opinion about that one, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks. RF