From: cobol400-l-bounces+kcookson=dotfoods.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Kelly
Cookson
Sent: Sun 7/31/2005 10:14 AM
To: COBOL Programming on the iSeries/AS400
Subject: RE: [COBOL400-L] Converting AS/400 files to XML?

The ILE COBOL route would be the best way to go if that's practical for you.
Here's a less slick alternative.

It's possible for a COBOL program to write out lines of XML to a flat DB2
database file, then use a CPYTOIMPF command to write the DB2 flat file to a
stream file in the IFS. Each line of XML would be defined as a data structure
in the working storage section. For example:

     01 XML-AMOUNT-DUE-LINE
         05 FILLER                                PIC X(11) VALUE "<AMOUNTDUE>".
         05 XML-AMOUNT-DUE-VALUE  PIC S9(11)V9(02).
         05 FILLER                                PIC X(12) VALUE
"</AMOUNTDUE>".

Have the COBOL program fill in the amount due value, then write the
XML-AMOUNT-DUE-LINE to the DB2 flat file. Do this same kind of thing for each
line needed in the XML file. The DB2 flat file will contain the entire XML
file, with each record in the DB2 file being one line in the XML file. The
CPYTOIMPF command will transform the contents of the DB2 file into a regular
XML file in the IFS.

This is a bulky solution and does not let you take full advantage of iSeries
XML solutions, but there it is.

Good luck,
Kelly