definition of rename()

fixed

Greetings, all.

A program failure has made me look at the definition of the
rename() function.  I find that the IBM run-time library
reference (iSeries ILE C/C++ for iSeries Run-Time Library
Functions, Version 5; SC41-5607-01) says explicitly that the
"to" parameter must not name an existing file.  The Posix
definition
<http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/rename.html>
on the other hand allows this situation and specifies the
behaviour of the function in this case.

Surely rename() is a commonly used part of Posix.  Do I have
to do something special to get Posix compatibility?

Thank you for your attention.

Terry.
Available for contract programming.