Installment # 8 from Al Mac.

When you use INV to get to main menu of Inventory = SSAI00
Or use GLD to get to main menu of General Ledger = SSAG00

Notice menu naming convention . SSA a letter 00
With 01 02 03 etc. for secondary menus of that application.

The letter after SSA corresponds to the letter of the chart I just shared
with you, first letter used for naming files for that application area

Knowing naming convention for menus is another way to navigate, and to know
which menus you might want a printed reference copy of.

Alternatively if you are on a particular menu,
Say MRP short cut to menu SSAK01
That tells you that K is the first letter used in naming MRP files.

The list of short-cut prefixes, I gave to you in installment # 2.
That is a really critical starting point for any end user,

The contents of BPCS files can be viewed multiple ways.

Customer data
* ACP230C = Customers listed in a report, sequenced from biggest sales
totals for the year, downwards . this will show you which are your most
active customers, and their account #s
* ACR310C = Customer Alpha / Phone Inquiry Program - or just scroll
thru names - first screen has basic info, F11 to show more info on each
customer . F11 to toggle back to simple list . jot down some customer
numbers, or maybe do a screen print when in detailed mode (this will help
you later when looking up some other info)

If you have command line access, key this:
RUNQRY *N RCM
Then enter

This won't work if the company has not installed query/400
If query/400 is there, then it will be useful for you to get a hold of the
AS/400 QUERY USER MANUAL

If it works, you get a dump to screen of your customer master file
Up down, I prefer to scroll
Sideways is F20 (upper F8) to right, F19 (upper F7) back again
ID CZ = Customer coded for goodbye

Vendor data
* PUR310C = Vendor Alpha Inquiry - works like ACR310C

If you have command line access, key this:
RUNQRY *N AVM
Then enter

This gets a dump to screen of your vendor master file
ID VZ = Vendors coded for goodbye

Before selecting a file for screen dump, you want to use DSPFD DSPFFD to get
an idea of how big the file is, because some files can have a lot of content
that you will not be interested in.

Query/400 has extreme value beyond screen dumps.
You say you will be creating queries off BPCS files, but do not yet know
your duties at your new employer.
You may have done queries off SAP files, but at some companies, end users
are not expected to create new queries off of BPCS files.

Al Mac (WOW) = Alister William Macintyre
via WOW WAY.com ISP
2012 April I had a serious PC melt down, from which I am still recovering