From: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Alister Wm Macintyre
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 4:19 PM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: RE: Backflushed Location Headaches

Al Mac is 405 CD now ... was BPCS on S/36 for many years Sometimes it
runs together in my head how BPCS behaved different on which
release.

Basically the allocations of inventory to be consumed from what
warehouse
and location, this aspect of BPCS software lacks the granularity of
control
that is desired by many companies.
This is an area where some of the 3rd party vendor add-on solutions
might
find a potential market.

BPCS does not care what the human significance is of various locations
it just grabs inventory from next alphabetically named location that has

enough inventory to meet needs of current transaction. Off-topic for me
to share Robotic Laws that Isaac Asimov got wrong, where
BPCS same pattern.

Our locations are named after the customers for whom the final product
is
to be delivered.
That's in reality.
In BPCS we have to use a different naming convention because of BPCS
inadequacies.

We want to have enforceable rules what inventory is to be consumed
where,
but often BPCS does not care about our rules, it just grabs the
inventory
wherever it can find it, sometimes driving some fields negative, and
sometimes not able to handle all files in sync, so we end up having to
do
reorgs not because of anything any human did wrong.

In the absence of BPCS ability to adhere to our rules, we have to map
out
all files that contain whatever rules BPCS is really obeying, such as
contents of ELA file, allocations of relevant orders, and how they get
that
way such as from MRP planning files, then at some strategic point in the

processing of those files, such as labor reporting, impose our changes
the BPCS rules, with the rules of our company, sometimes with
modification
programs into BPCS job-streams, sometimes with instructions to end users
of
an extra step to follow when releasing orders, and also we have to know
how
to cope when users miss that step.

We have had massive modifications to this area, very poorly documented,
because most of them arrived during a Y2K conversion that had us
drowning
in glitches needing fixing ... typically 50 glitches a week to be fixed.

God forbid that we ever have to go through this process again, if the
rules
of our company evolve.

Our finished goods end up in warehouse 21 for factory # 2, warehouse 41
for
factory # 4 etc. so named because "1" is item type "1".
Our WIP is in warehouse 22 42 etc. because "2" is item type "2". Our raw
materials and sub-assemblies are correctly consumed from the *2 WIP
warehouses, while the FG correctly received into the *1 warehouse.

We do not use lot control.
Sounds to me like you want to explore whether BPCS will let you use lot
control ONLY on the items that need this greater granularity, without
messing you up with the rest of your production.