  • Subject: Re: Truncated report
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 12:18:11 EST

From Al Macintyre BPCS 405 CD Green Screen OS/4 V4R3

Let's focus the puzzle to make sure understand exactly what you are doing.

When you get to command line, it is from within BPCS, such as F21 from a
vanilla menu, so that the same library list is in effect ... it is not via F3
fall out of BPCS.  We have put CALL QCMD in a CL on some user menus.

The report program should be in a CL, so that from the command line you
CALL THECL
and from the BPCS menu it calls
THECL

exact same program is being run

I have put stuff on BPCS menus that are not BPCS programs, such as CL to run
Query/400, most recently a query that lists all of our queries alphabetically
by title obtained via DSPOBJD & with a CL to RUNQRY direct from BPCS menu for
whichever query the user selects from the directory.  BPCS defaults are not
interfering with any of this.

We heavily use reports that are 198 width and 15 characters to the inch, that
are BPCS data in our RPG programs, using BPCS programming standards of

THECL calls THERPG which uses THEDDS printer file which spells out 198 & 15
and THECL also has an OVRPRTF line that expands on THEDDS printer file to add
some options not available in DDS.  It works.

Are you running your BPCS Menus from Green Screen or emulation, or are there
any modified filters in effect that are making assumptions about your
printers?

SSA software has an irritating habit that assumes everyone on the planet uses
the same kind of forms as SSA Chicago, so it ignores whatever settings we
have in our OS/400 or software setups, so we have to do a change defaults for
100% printer files after any SSA upgrade, which is why my first question was
whether your command line vs. menu is running the exact same CL from exact
same library list.

I have DSPLIB in a CL on a BPCS Menu for convenience of this kind of
checking, although the main reason it is there, we add-remove test software
libraries in the live environment for some testing that does not involve
updating files.  I have found that many OS/400 commands do not work on the
BPCS line that we use to run "any program", a security feature I imagine.

Hopefully one of my questions hits a nerve of identifying where the
discrepancy is.

>  From:    jegdishlan@hotmail.com (jegdish ilango)
>
>  Hello,
>  I have a RPG program described Printer file , whose width is 156 and
>  Characters / inch is 13.3
>  I tested this report  in a 132 column printer by calling the program from
>  the command line and it was printing the entire report normally.
>  I then put this program in BPCS menu and called it through menu option.
Now,

>  it is printing only upto 132 and the balance is truncated.Again,when i ran
>  the same program from command line it is Ok.
>  What changes should I do in the BPCS menu, to print the entire width of
the
>  report?
>  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>  Jagdish.

Alister William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central
Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies

+---