  • Subject: BPCS 405 CD Combine Year End & Physical for all factories
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:21:49 EST

I was asked today about the possibility of combining physical inventory with
year end close & I said that is ASKING for trouble for many reasons,

the most critical one being that I do not believe that we have the STAFF to
do all facilities at the same time ... we have developed a group of people
who do a fairly GOOD job at just one site (but our lasting inventory accuracy
has been degrading of late due to us taking short cuts to try to get the
physical completed with less work in less time) ... one factory a month.  Now
if we continue to do something that has been a reasonable success for us in
the past, why add the extra complications of one of these also being an end
of year, especially when the CFO already has family & church tugging at his
weekends?

Do other Manufacturers with multiple sites habitually combine physcial
inventory with year end & can you share a check list of the steps involved,
even if you only have one factory?

Month end + year end
Month end + physical
Month end + year end + physical

Our applications include Customer Orders all the way through inter-facility
DRP, Inventory & both SFC & JIT, MRP, PUR, routings & BOM.  We are not doing
any forecasting (I think we should be) or bar coding.  Our accounting side is
pretty much the basic BIL AR AP GLD.

Alister William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central
Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies

+---