  • Subject: Re: ECHW / ECLW
  • From: "Devin Bowen" <devinbowen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:49:21 -0700

OK you two (Dean and Genyphyr) . . . let's not have a fight!

I think Dean's point with the comments (at least about the order entry work
files) can be summed up with this statement (and I know it's accurate
because EVERY client for which I've worked over the last four years [close
to 30 v6 installs] has faced it):

Every release of BPCS v6 Order Entry (from COM to ORD700, v6.0.02 pla to
eBPCS including v6.1.01) is guilty of leaving hundreds of records a day in
ECHW / ECLW.

It's not a serious flaw (there are much worse things and it can be managed),
but is it not reasonable to ask that even a minor problem (inconvenience)
that impacts EVERY client be dealt with at some point (4 years seems a
reasonable amount of time)?  I've personally got better things to worry
about than why SSA has failed to fix this and other work file record
retention issues and just instruct clients to clear these and other work
files (DQH, DQD, ESNW, EWR, GWF, ZEF, PDW, ZQL, ZQWRP, ZQWSP, ZQWAP, ZQWTP,
etc.) nightly, but I understand the frustration to a point.

By the way - give us 'mere consultants' a little credit. . . we understand
that SSA is a 'software company' (many of us have worked for this software
company in the past) and as such has different priorities and
responsibilities to its clients than consulting firms have to their clients.
Most of us understand BMR prioritization and are not suggesting that a
literal with a misspelled word have a BMR raised and completed before a hard
halt in MRP500 or a bug in BIL501 that is resulting in serious data
corruption every time invoicing is run.

I hope I'm not being overly critical - you've made a real positive
contribution to the list.  Just try not to jump so quickly to "SSA defense
mode."  There are invaluable lessons to be learned from clients and
consultants :-).

Devin

Devin Bowen
Enterprise Application Solutions