     Read it and ????

     Company Press Release
     Gores Technology Group to Acquire SSA
     CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 7, 2000--Gores Technology Group, a
     leading international technology and management company, and System
     Software Associates, Inc. (OTCBB:SSAX - news) announced today that SSA
     has agreed to sell substantially all of its assets to a newly-formed
     subsidiary of Gores Technology for a total of approximately $52
     million in cash and 25% of the common stock of the newly-formed
     subsidiary. The parties intend to effect the sale in an expeditious
     manner via a voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding to be filed on
     or about April 14. The Chapter 11 proceeding will not include SSA's
     subsidiaries.

     Alec Gores, Chairman of Gores Technology, stated ``We are very pleased
     to be adding SSA to the Gores family of technology companies. We place
     a high importance on the current and potential value of SSA's
     extensive customer base, skilled professionals, strong portfolio of
     SSA and partner software and services, and significant international
     operations. We intend to focus on the future growth and development of
     the company.''

     ``This transaction is the result of an intense and thorough evaluation
     of all of SSA's strategic alternatives by our advisors, Houlihan,
     Lokey, Howard & Zukin, senior management and the SSA Board,'' said
     Robert R. Carpenter, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of SSA. ``We
     believe that the Gores Technology Group capital resources, technical
     and business expertise and philosophy of creating value for customers,
     employees and investors make them a strong partner for the future. We
     believe that our combined resources will both allow us to continue to
     serve our customers, without interruption, and enable us to continue
     to build upon our combined strengths after completion of the sale.''

     SSA anticipates that it will be required to use all of the cash
     received upon closing of the sale to pay SSA's senior secured lenders
     and administrative claims in bankruptcy, leaving 25% of the common
     stock of the newly-formed subsidiary available for claims of unsecured
     creditors of SSA in bankruptcy, including the holders of its 7%
     convertible subordinated notes due 2002. SSA does not expect any
     distribution to be made to holders of its equity securities.

     The parties anticipate that the sale will close within 45-60 days. The
     closing of the sale is subject to, among other things, completion of
     definitive documentation, bankruptcy court approval and approval of
     SSA's senior secured lenders.

     About SSA

     System Software Associates is a worldwide ERP software and services
     provider with fiscal year 1999 revenue of $316 million. Its principal
     product, eBPCS Version 6.1 is primarily sold to the industrial sector
     including: automotive, chemicals, consumer goods, electronics, general
     manufacturing, food and beverage, forest products and pharmaceuticals.

     About Gores Technology

     Gores Technology Group (GTG) is a leading international technology
     acquisition and management company with an aggressive strategy of
     acquiring promising high-technology organizations, products and
     services, and managing them for increased growth and profitability.
     GTG's established infrastructure currently manages a portfolio of 18
     companies that are located in 40 countries throughout the world. Those
     companies provide a broad range of technology-based products and
     services to a substantial customer base of 12,500 corporations that
     represent more than 1.5 million active users.

     Safe Harbor Provision

     The statements contained in this release regarding the timing and
     process of the anticipated sale and bankruptcy proceeding and the
     plans and future operations of SSA and Gores Technology are
     ``forward-looking statements'' subject to the safe harbor created by
     the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Where possible,
     the words ``intend,'' ``expect,'' ``believe,'' ``anticipate'' and
     similar expressions, as they relate to SSA, Gores Technology or their
     management, have been used to identify such forward-looking
     statements. These statements reflect current beliefs and specific
     assumptions of SSA and Gores Technology with respect to future events
     and are based on information currently available to them. Accordingly,
     the statements are subject to significant risks, uncertainties and
     contingencies, which could cause actual timing and process of the
     anticipated sale and bankruptcy proceeding and actual future
     expectations and the results thereof to differ from those expressed
     in, or implied by, these statements.