  • Subject: Customer order junk (WAS ship to addresses reverting to sold to)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:52:01 EDT

>  From:    mgraziano@badgermeter.com (Graziano, Marie)

> Also we are having a problem with junk being
>  displayed in the N & A of the shipping screen.  So it is a bug somewhere.

Or the debris from human errors

We have been having a problem with junk in customer order files in which we
were falsely assuming that data out there was in accordance with BPCS rules.

Consider this scenario ... a user is looking up some BPCS data using DFU
(because the info they need is too cumbersome to get at via ORD300 or SAL300)
& by accident blanks out a field ... oops how do I fix that ... the user
panics ... forgets about F5 or F12, scrolls back & forth to see what the
standard rule is for that field, then keys in the correction, only uses lower
case & not notice done so

Another scenario ... shipping is in the middle of doing their thing & sales
dept wants to add something to the order ... not the same lines as shipping
is using & they get an error message about shipping currently using that
order & they do not understand the message & do an over-ride, without
consulting with the shipping personnel ... well now the shipping records are
corrupted

Another scenario ... shipping is done for the day & informed accounting that
billing may be done & sales gets an emergency call from a customer & sales
dept personnel walk the parts through the factory to shipping but no one is
home & they are struggling with our shipping manual & writing records to BB*
at the same time as billing is being run & we end up with an incomplete
invoice

Well I created queries ...
list me all ECL records that do not have a corresponding ECH header ... we
got plenty
list me all ECH records that have no corresponding ECL lines ... we got some
of them too
list me all customer notes on order #s that are no longer active ... we got
lots of them
calculate difference between quantity ordered, quantity picked, quantity
shipped, quantity invoiced & list any where activity went minus (did more
than asked for) & we have many many pages of minuses
list me all records in EC* files whose ID is other than active or finished
ie. outside BPCS rules ... we got some of them
and what would cause a file to have a totally blank record?

The consequences of junk are in the selection criteria of various programs
... many look at header first & if header not valid, do not even look at
detail ... some reports list detail only without needing to access header ...
so junk shows up on some reports & not on others.

Does MRP process all "valid" ECL records without including ECH in the picture?

How do we get rid of finished customer orders that are dated older than a
year?
What end-month step is supposed to purge completed customer orders?

Current problem for me is that we have this junk
We do not have ways of spotting junk until it has done some damage
We do not have solid policy procedures at getting rid of the junk
We do not know what causes the junk in the first case, except for a few
scenarios cited above that are perhaps 1% of the problem.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---