  • Subject: Re: Query400 question
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:30:37 EST

From Al Macintyre on BPCS 405 CD

>  From:    Andreas.KOPP@de.imp-group.com (Andreas)
>
>  I have a question concerning Query400.

I suggest you visit some 400 forums that are ERP-independent, for a variety
of tips & techniques using 400 tools, such as:
http://news400.com/
http://www.midrangecomputing.com/scripts/webboard.dll/mainmenu
http://www.forums400.com
http://www.datamation.com/discussions/index.html

next 2 lines need to be re-connected
http://discussions.earthweb.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=earthweb.ap
pdev.general&item=10&utag=

>  I have a field in format date  (DD/MM/YY) and I would like to create a new
>  field containing the original date  plus 1 day.
>
>  How can I add a day to date?
>  Is this possible?

Our BPCS data base fields containing dates are in the format CCYYMMDD which
is generally a valid IBM ISO date, but not defined as a date type, because
BPCS tolerates non-date data in those fields, such as all zeros or all nines,
so your selection criteria needs to exclude such data from your query.  You
may need to check the IBM Job Date format, since we have figured out how to
have a different default date format in Query than in BPCS but I do not
remember what we did.

If you want to rearrange contents of fields, as we often do, to print dates
in format other than CCYYMMDD, we can only substring & concatenate fields
that have been converted to alphameric format, such as

Alpha_Result-Field_Name = DIGITS(Numeric_Field_Name)

After the manipulation, we can get the data back to numeric format using INT
to integer or DECIMAL to decimal, provided we do not have got non-numeric
data in there inviting decimal data error.

Thus, you can deconstruct a date into pieces, add or subtract 1 day to a
piece, but is the result a valid date or Feb the 30th or did you start with
1st day of a month ... converting vs. your own estimated calendar can be
messy - much cleaner to get it into IBM date type & learn the relevant
terminology to let IBM/400 do the calendar math.

Today = CURRENT(DATE) ... this returns today's date in IBM data type of a date

Date_Result = DATE(BPCS field with date data in right format) ... this takes
some BPCS field name & makes it a date from the perspective of IBM data types

Day_Result = DAY(BPCS date field) ... so for example if the date field is
19991105 this returns the value 05 & considers it to be a DAY for purposes of
IBM date math

Same deal with MONTH & YEAR ... this way you can extract pieces of a date
instead of the sub-string concatenation route.

Once you have defined a date as a date in IBM terms you can do date math

Days_Result = DAYS(BPCS field representing a date) ... this gets you number
of days since Jan 1 0001 for purpose of subtracting 2 such dates to get #
days in between, or adding fixed numbers to this work value.

An example of this might be
Work_Days(DAY) = DAYS(TSDTE) - DAYS(TTDTE) in which the result field is
expressed as a day for date math purposes & consists of the difference
between 2 BPCS dates, then later you can add Work_Days to some other date &
the result will be a correct calendar date - you need not line up what field
layout or futz with number of days in which month.

We are a bit sloppy with our Queries, sometimes using things like
(YEAR1-YEAR2)*360 + (MM*30) - (DD*-1)

There is on-line help for Query/400 which I do not find to be very helpful.
Instead, my bible is the IBM Query Users manual SC41-4210-00 & some stuff
that we got from our ERP consultants ... we have a set of references that
correlate BPCS file naming with standard query/400 functions ... you need to
get this sort of thing directly from your ERP consultants since ours is
intellectual property protected.

When we leave our dates in CCYYMMDD format, we generally use edit word '    -
 -  ' because the edit codes drop off CC, for our version of OS/400.

Feel free to contact me off-BPCS_L to pursue this further ... I could
real-mail you one of our query specifications which has date math similar to
what you are looking for, so you could copy the technique directly.  No
guarantees that we are working this correctly of course.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
http://www.whma.org = our nitch industry has a large committee searching for
ErPdMes products right for WHM without work-arounds, which for many members
resemble a snipe hunt - if you are in this software business & want to fix
your product so it will not be mistaken for what your competition has been
doing, then you might want to join our great game.
+---