  • Subject: Re: BPCS Questions
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:22:29 EST

> Subj:  BPCS Questions
>  From:    kondoju@usa.net (raju kondoju)
>
>  Hi ,
>
>       I need some program names in Inventory module and which  library
>  contains this programs are in Version 6.02. please explain in detail.
>
>  thanks

We are on BPCS 405 CD but V6 has much of the same tools.

0.  My suggestions assume that you have command line authority & a modicum of
AS/400 programming navigation know-how.

1. DSPLIB shows you the libraries in your library list ... they should have
somewhat descriptive names.  This will tell you where the files are as
opposed to the program objects.  You can put a 5 in front of some library &
scroll to see the kind of stuff that is in each one.

WRKOBJ INV50* or some such entry will show you all the objects that are in
the INV500 family & which library list versions are taking precedence for
each object in the family.  The numbering system is such that program XXX#00
might call the same XXX#0 but the 6th digit will change, and there are final
letters related to type of object but SSA naming conventions are not 100%
constently followed by SSA.

2. Locate your on-line documentation ... this should be from menu DOC for
which you need SYS security to get to it.  On 405 CD this is in a file called
BPCSDOC in one of our two main software objects libraries & we can also get
to it via PDM.  The most important document you need to find is the BPCS
Logic Manual.  On 405 CD it is the member called SSALOG00 within BPCSDOC.
This document explains the naming conventions & the standards that are
essential to you navigating where everything is.

For example, RPG program INV500 is called by CL program INV500C.  The primary
interactive DDS screens of INV500 would be in a source member called
INV500FM, and the PRTF output audit trail in INV500O - you need to understand
the naming conventions if you are going to get anywhere navigating this stuff
& keeping modifications consistent.

While you are in there, you might also print out some of the INVENTORY
sub-system documentation, such as the cross-reference that identifies every
inventory program that a user can run, from the perspective of whatever they
want to do, here is the program to do it.  On 405 CD that is in a document
called SSA RUN & some number that is spelled out in the Logic Manual.

I went into all the SSA RUN documents, other than those for accounting, &
extracted just the cross-reference part into our own document that has only
cross-reference and then added some of our queries to the list, so our users
have a reference document in which "What do you need to do?  Here is the
program that does it."

The SSA on-line documentation can eat many many cartons of paper to print out
in their entirety & forget about any decent indexing like modern day hyper
text help, so before placing enormous corporate reliance on using this as
your how-to bible, check out the alternative BPCS documentation sources that
we have often talked about on other BPCS_L threads.

3. On 405 CD we are able to function by messing with the source code for the
programs ... in some cases not very well ... but on V6 you have to have
AS/Set to be messing with the source code.

4. Look at the INV menu to see the name of the program that users run that is
relevant to your interest, then get to OS/400 command line and GO CMDREF ...
there is an IBM tool to create a cross-reference of all the program objects
that are called by the program or range of programs that interest you, with
clues about how the objects are accessed.  You need to pick a very narrow
range or else you will drown in print-outs.

SSA does have an XREF tool to perform much of the same role & is somewhat
more user friendly.  However, the only way to get it to work on 405 is to
make 100% of our users AS/400 security officers with *ALLOBJ authority & I do
not want SSA XREF that badly.

Something I would like in this department is a cross-reference of CL that
calls Queries ... when I am looking at a Query I do not know if it is in a CL
or what CL it is in.  When I run cross-ref on the CL it does not say which
Query definition is called.  What I want to know is which queries do not have
CL, and which queries are in more than one CL.  We have hundreds of queries,
in which sometimes when somebody wants something it is easier for them to
create a new query than to re-use an existing one.

5. State a question here regarding specifically what you are looking for.
Perhaps the best answer is nothing to do with modifications or which programs.

Hope you find my reply to be constructive.

Al Macintyre
+---