  • Subject: Fwd: Dickens 2000 Patent
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:22:43 EST

I had BCC my earlier posting to some people whom I thought might like to know
about the Analog reference.

Al

Problems of the global patent system aside for a moment,
it appears that at best Dickens' claim confounds at least
two different y2k solution approaches under his use of the
name "windowing" -- basically windowing and data data file
conversion.  Windowing is a logic only approach and, as
normally used, does not include either "reformatting" in
the sense that any 4-digit years are placed or stored
within the active/working_memory/RAM of the computer or
writing 4-digit years back into the database.

That the prior existence of the logic of windowing itself
is clearly documented on page 248 of Ohms' 1986 IBM Systems
Journal article is without question.  As for the steps of a
file conversion, file conversion utilities (i.e., programs)
have been doing such things for decades.  As far as I can
tell, Dickens has nothing new here.  Of course, I am open
to further illumination.

 Leon A. Kappelman, Ph.D.
 Associate Professor, Business Computer Information Systems
 Associate Director, Center for Quality & Productivity
   College of Business Administration, Univ. of North Texas
 Co-chair, Society for Info. Management Y2K Working Group
 Steering Committee, YES Volunteer Corps (www.iy2kcc.org)
 Voice: 940-565-4698  Fax: 940-369-7623  Email: kapp@unt.edu
 Website: http://www.unt.edu/bcis/faculty/kappelma/