From: WEB400 <web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of franz9000@xxxxxxxxx <franz9000@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 02 June 2021 04:36
To: 'Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)' <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [WEB400] IBM i as a webserver with low cost tools

Given task to find framework and tools to migrate existing customer service
site (order entry, maintenance, history, payments, 60 different programs,
all dynamic, heavily edited), and apply new UX dashboard design and
functions to auto fit devices (not too much to ask is it?).

This site has been up 21 years, with couple overhauls, built with a $$ tool
(that I like but will not name..), uses Apache cgi interface. Site does not
fit any pattern like a shopping cart, or lookup portal. Half the site is
pages of data entry (names and addresses, long descriptions, code
selections). Already using CSS, jQuery for autocomplete and other functions,
some javascript, some bootstrap. Ready for next overhaul.

Primary business requirements are:

No limits on handling business designs like other platforms ( - a great
site)

Annual software maint no more than low end/open source (current annual
maint 10k). The business thinks this savings will pay for project..

They would prefer it not be a strictly RPG site (concern about
maintainability long term) but not ruling it out - have used cgidev2 before.

Realtime updates to IBM I DB2 like an interactive application.

Customer authentication, and secure.

CSS will be replaced.

Power 9 (small) is staying, but without a solution the website will be given
to an external vendor with lots of calls to the system (and customer will be
unhappy).

Eventually this solution will be used to replace office applications.

Average 20 - 30 near simultaneous users but must handle several times that.

Am leaning towards PHP - but have not used since early days of Zend.

Given the annual maint cost limits - is this realistic?

Jim