Part of my issues could have been solved by simple changes to the documentation. Nowhere that I saw did it ever mention the notion that there might be more than one certificate involved. Nor anywhere in IBM's docs did it ever suggest to use a URL such as the one Pete gave me that allows you to view thew content on the certificate file. Until I saw "inside" the bundle and found the two different certs it never occurred to me that this might be the case. Despite having probably a better than average idea of what certs etc. were all about, I was not technically literate on the mechanics and details such as intermediate certs so never thought of that as a potential issue.

I think the problem in part, as with much of IBM's docs in this and the Open Source area, is that they are fine if you already know the answers and potential questions. If you don't, they only work if you have the most straightforward of situations and don't encounter any errors. Lord help you if you have an error because there are no explanations and no indication as to what logs might contain helpful information.

In my particular scenario, the situation was complicated by the fact that we had previously used Comodo, and although it occurred to me that their name change meant that the root Comodo cert was probably not of any use, it would never have occurred to me to consider that they had also changed the intermediate cert that they used. Only seeing it via "Pete's viewer" was I able to spot that neither name appeared in my CA list.

I might follow up on Mark's suggestion re an RFE if for no other reason than to suggest that IBM could at least report that they found more than one cert in the file and can't handle it - rather than just give a meaningless error message as they do now.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com