  • Subject: best way to build a web page app on ibm i using a CLI
  • From: Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:38:56 -0500
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass header.i=@gmail.com header.s=20161025 header.b=r+a2DKVy; spf=pass (google.com: domain of stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx designates 209.85.220.41 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx; dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=to:subject:message-id:date:from:mime-version:dkim-signature; bh=ehJSGsoVe/5r55HH8tgnZW5JFU0j2OaNdiZrYSDF1W4=; b=elZlKQiUuRXNdanjKO5Ji+XpPlarw0MQ28mkr422oXUKDz9W0Ndm2ywoYVKgDDApRo Ur1vAtllipnPY717RpibB2u9DKGE9hQyXddBZlYZZuSRK8ceADQslXq6IprE8CPSdWLp kI3754qKhwKTj12f25GCVfKEGcDoNJRTE6VevZUZspn2UDy4n04L8bgn4eHE313CDJ+j 8HNYgKf9k3Ugk45yEPYy3N+PmF6LE6vrVpKyOSaRGpgH0iSMLumNxjgA9uGuMZoki2Jz LpaueaIHGkHzxgZuAKsuFJNFcJEczPC4N3kS8x2ofWinspjt5npqRErekY105QEY7mhP DcFQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1548434350; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=hAYn/5J55uu1DGsb73iWpwimlym21ZWj7QB6dvmgIqnaLJbxd4yBd507PG6IJoUElS FePWhTkLXhpCE7bOb6IxvZbOx9iHMZEnRXr8Y+QRNxhZNd1BiKqKtJxDws6fmsefPQ63 yznrGkBACcH0xhMmWAu7ATLs36t+ZxUCY5IIO6ngIcakI0pAKCyiardbGWMLKkx/qgVT qedMdmxlQvxD856MLD5k8I0CvP+QO4K8jbf7qoclcK3nQwWsoAYihuz6iULfUhiAkpbL 1sfznhPuT2fLPlHbljL/3Wq1Aana+DRPVoSJofdfHFqr8MMWKtHm9fJKdideW4I3PRJ5 JVDQ==

I have been using vue.js to write SPA type web apps for the IBM i. Been
getting terrific results. The advantage of vue over react and angular being
you do not need to use a CLI to create a web page. Just use a <script> tag
to access the vue framework.

But I would like to use a CLI. That is where all the tooling is. Things
like babel, typescript, ES6 modules. webpack partial loading. So I would
like to give the VUE CLI a try.

Problem is, running vue cli to setup a basic project created 15,000 files
in the project folder. Running VUE CREATE ( vue cli command used to create
a vue project ) took over 5 minutes when I set the current directory to the
IFS HOME folder. And for that entire time there were QZLSFILET jobs
running on the IBM i. I worry the IBM i will not be able to handle so many
files in the IFS, that the CPU usage will impact other users.

My setup is that node, npm and the vue cli are installed on my windows PC.
I map a network drive from the PC to the IBM i. Then to create the web
project using the vue cli I start powershell, set the current drive to the
mapped IFS drive, and run VUE CREATE project_name.

This worked. But all the files on the IFS? And 5 minutes to create the
project.

Are there other ways to do this? I figure I have to have the entire
project folder within the htdocs folder of the PHP web server on the IBM i.

thanks,