Hi all, first let me state that I'm just learning about web services using Scott Klement's pdf's.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this.  I have a NEP on the V7R1 box which I'm trying to control from the web.

As a first step I have the html and javascript working to call a web service to start and stop the job.

What I want to do now is display the status of the job on the page.  So (assuming the job is stopped) when the page is first displayed I would call my web service and pass action=status which would return stopped and I would display Inactive on the page.

If I click the start button the web service is called with action=start and the job is started and the page is updated to Active.

Where I'm looking for advice is when I click the stop button.  It may take 10 seconds for the job to actually end.  So between the time that I call the web service to end the job and when the job is actually ended I want to display Ending... on the page.

So I'm thinking of two approaches.

Call the web service with action=status in a loop until the status is ended.  Only the update the page to Inactive.

Or when I call the web service to end the job I update the page with Ending... and do not return a response from the RPG program until the job is actually ended.

Does anyone have any advise on how to approach this issue.

Thanks,

Rob