Nathan,

I have already this more or less designed and running in production!

That may sound like a contradiction but my RPGLE/EXTJS based framework
generates its grids and forms based on "designs" in a simple XML document
made for each function in the system where every field may be defined as
excluded or included as open for input or just as informational. The design
also
controls CRUD possibilities for each user.

The XML document is able to hold several sections/designs which different
users may point to based on the user-profile or their user group.

I'm in the process to move this XML documents into JSON based schemas
with more functionallity for my nodejs framework.

The goal is to be able to generate a generic rest service based on SYSCOLUMN
definitions and be able to configure it in JSON based schema's that either
is
made on a function specific JSON file or a JSON file where all functions are
defined in a collection.

This shift from XML to JSON is because it goes directly into a processable
javascript object and the schemas will then reside in the rest service
itself
untill the services is killed/restarted.