From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 11:05 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [WEB400] REST web service APIs

Nadir,

Thanks for your response. I followed the link that you provided and further
linked to the following:

https://www.ibm.com/cloud/integration<https://www.ibm.com/cloud/integration>

Halfway down that page there is a link to a 3 minute video with the
following text:

"Learn how Walmart is building a platform driven by APIs to provide its
developers with a self-service portal that supports faster development and
helps Walmart deliver new services and improvements at the speed of
business."

The technicians at Walmart briefly discuss the benefits of their API
architecture. That intrigued me because we've had some shallow comments on
this list this past week about Walmart using Node.js for a high-volume
shopping site. That video suggest that there is a lot more to the story
than just switching to Node.js.

For those who favor an XMLSERVICE interface over an API interface, I'm
curious how you handle end-user access privileges? XMLSERVICE, ODBC, JDBC,
and the like allow clients to execute any SQL statement against any
database files, to call any program, to run any command. What is your
preferred way of controlling that?

With APIs, I envision a service that checks a list to see if users have
been granted authority to an API, and providing an appropriate error
message if otherwise.

Nathan.