From: WEB400 <web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 20 March 2018 12:40
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] [EXTERNAL] Re: Rise of Node

I'm not suggesting you can't write typical "business logic" in Javascript,
but I'm questioning the wisdom of it and your workarounds demonstrate why
IMO.

I agree the decimal math isn't optimal in Javascript, but it seems like
such a small thing compared to adopting an entirely other language to do
the business logic (i.e. RPG, Java). While there are tools to span the gap
(iToolkit), it is still a gap that needs to be crossed for each business
logic call. And then there are two separate change management and
deployment processes that need to be coordinated. And maintaining knowledge
in both languages.

Regardless of our different views on possibilities of where business logic
should be, I am curious of the following given that you have a decent
amount of experience in a variety of languages...

If tasked with building an application from the ground up, what would your
language stack look like?

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces