Question:
Does anyone know if there is a setting in Zend Server's PHP Monitor tool that will allow the PHP Email notifications to use HTTPS instead of HTTP when processing requests?

If we activate the Zend Server GUI port (default 10081) to run with HTTPS then we no longer receive any of the email notifications from the PHP Monitor tool of Zend Server.

Background:

We transitioned all of our iSeries Apache instances to use HTTPS.
We are currently running V7R1 and Zend Server 8.5.6.

We have a few IBM Apache instances and I was able to successfully configure them all for SSL HTTPS.

On our PHP Zend Server configuration we ended up with HTTP on port 10088 and HTTPS on 10089.
We needed to keep the HTTP port active since most users still had links that used the 10088 port.

I setup a permanent redirect for all traffic to our HTTPS port. All appears to be working.

Redirect permanent / https://servername:10089/

Next, I got the bright Idea of transitioning the Zend Server GUI Manager port to HTTPS.
So I configured it the same as the other Host.
I configured a new SSL port 10082 and left the default HTTP port 10081 running.
Then I setup a permanent redirect on 10081 to send all traffic to the 10082 port.

After a few days of running in this configuration one of my fellow Programmers came and mentioned that we were no longer receiving any of the PHP Error emails from the Zend Server GUI tool.

I then opened a ticket with Zend Support, hoping that they would know how to configure the Email tool and could point me to the configuration file.

Just after I submitted the ticket I was able to update the configuration and get something working.

I ended up with three VirtualHost hosts.
One to handle the localhost http traffic, one to redirect the other http traffic, and the https port.

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:10081> HTTP
<VirtualHost *:10081> HTTP with Redirect permanent / https://servername:10082/
<VirtualHost *:10082> HTTPS

Zend Support suggested that we just remove port 10082 and activate 10081 to handle HTTPS.
So I figured I would give that a try.

When we had the site configured that way we started seeing SSL errors in the Apache log that coincide with when the emails should be sending.
[error] ZSRV_MSG0219: SSL received a badly formatted message, error = 410.
[error] ZSRV_MSG0281: SSL: 127.0.0.1.

This leads me to believe that there was some sort of misconfiguration somewhere in the PHP Monitor tool.
The Monitor tool was always using HTTP to local host.

So, I've been hunting through all of the configuration files trying to find out where I can change that so the Monitor tool uses HTTPS on local host.

Does anyone know if that setting exists?

Or is this rabbit whole so deep that I should just jump back out and stick with the three VirtualHost setup?

Chris Hiebert
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.