Thanks Rob. Twilio is one that I saw.

For now, I think I can work in a pretty controlled environment - 5555555555@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as the phones should be company issued. Just thinking down the road that (hopefully) the usage of this may really explode. I think the sales team will love it. If so, a subscription service becomes more viable.

Need to talk to our telephone switch guy to see if I might be able to interface with that directly or thru some PC intermediary and just send the message.

From: WEB400 <web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Rob <rob.couch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:03 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Send email as a text to cell phone

Roger,

I am not in my home office... but I can tell you that Twilio will
allow you to sms for like .002 cents... yes... that is two tenths of a
penny.

If I was in my home office, I had another api for a company that
would translate the number to a provider. then you can email for free
after the first use. I think it was a few pennies or less per number.
They are considered to be a SMS Gateway.

I know Twilio uses a escrow system, you charge it up and recharge
when the bucket runs low.

Twilio can do many many things... I also use it along with OpenVBX
to run a phone system for a small office.

https://www.twilio.com/

After a quick google... TextMagic is the SMS Gateway... I think
TextMagic is who I used.

But then you have to match the Carrier String to that in a table you
keep that matches Carriers to domain names...

Such as "T-Mobile" to "tmomail.com"

If you know the Carrier, which if it is a controlled group, get the info
up front when you get the cell number. some carriers it is as simply as
number@xxxxxxxxxx. Others have number prefixes or suffixes. You can
google each carriers policy on sending an email to an sms text message.

Hope that helps...