Beat me to it, Kevin.

Sorry for the confusion. My point was meant to be in regards to "single
sign-on" which involves BROWSER "redirects" back and forth between the
server which which performs trusted "authentication" and another which
provides services; Any protocol which assumes the "client" is a browser and
manipulates the browser DOM.

Some of the previous references about oAuth were for single sign-on
implementations which manipulate the browser's DOM.

I understanding that oAuth and similar SAML based protocols are fairly
loose standards, which may be adapted for general purpose "authentication",
including for web services.

This thread ...