@Bradley

Maybe I have another approach - programmers do not need to understand
why a service sub-procedure is build as it is build - middleware takes that
understanding out of the equation and the programmer can concentrate
on what the sub-procedure does.

Have you looked at CGIDEV2 sub-procedures and how they interact? I
will guarantee that we are less that 10 programmers of the 15.000+
that uses CGIDEV2 that fully understand it.

the $, #, and @ is only a problem in EBCDIC and in native source files
but other constants may also be a problem like { [ ] }. This has been
discussed
from time to time during many years.

For internationalized EBCDIC source code we should stick to the 'shared'
characters that has the same hex positions in all EBCDIC CCSID's.

As Kevin pointed out many of the RPG examples can't be copy/pasted into
any CCSID source member but needs conversion. In denmark you code
will look like

Æstartup();
inContLen = Æst_CtoN(ÆGetEnv('CONTENT_LENGTH')); ÆwriteTemplate(
'stdhtmlheader.erpg'); ÆloadTemplate('readbig.erpg':'top'); ÆreplaceData(
'/%length%/':%char(inContLen)); ÆwriteSection(); if (inContLen > 0); dataØ
= %alloc(inContLen);

etc.

In ASCII based source files they don't represent a problem since all these
characters are within x'00'-x'7F' that btw are shared with UTF-8.

My refering to how Apache converts data has nothing to do with the server
setup since the client solely controls the MIME header that are send to
the server and in public web-services we often do not control the client.

I will of course post the examples when I'm done implementing a complete
YAJL example both generating and receiving JSON using HTTPAPI as client
and powerEXT as the web-service and it will support data and storage up to
2GB.