From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 12:51 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] IBM i authentication and RESTful web service design

Hi Richard,

>> My definition of REST:
>> Any app that can respond to HTTP calls :-)

I see the smile... but I believe some people are starting to think that REST simply means "using HTTP for the API communication protocol."

I have no problem with this. I'm not married to the REST architectural style.

At the same time, if people who are unfamiliar with REST learn that REST just means using HTTP as the API communication protocol, then they won't understand the benefits and tradeoffs of implementing the various architectural constraints that were original grouped under the acronym REST.

And if one doesn't care about the benefits and tradeoffs of REST architectural constraints, then why bother using the REST acronym at all? One could just as easily say HTTP, which would be more familiar and more precise.

Thanks,
Kelly