Kelly,

If you have SSO already set up (such as LDAP, etc) then you can configure Apache to use it. You would add something like this to your config file for LDAP support:

LoadModule ibm_ldap_module /QSYS.LIB/QHTTPSVR.LIB/QZSRVLDAP.SRVPGM

<DirectoryMatch "^/QSYS\.LIB/YOURLIB\.LIB/[a-z0-9]*\.PGM">
    LDAPConfigFile /www/YOUR-HTTP-INSTANCE/conf/ldap.prop
    PasswdFile %%LDAP%%
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Kelly's Service"
    Require valid-user
</DirectoryMatch>

With this, Apache will accept any userids in the LDAP server to sign on. Your application would use the EIM APIs to find the "actual" userid to use on the IBM i side of things, if that's necessary. You don't have to have userids for every user if you don't want, you can use EIM to map your userids to a generic user profile on the IBM i side if you want.

To answer your questions:

1) True if you want to be 100% perfectly stateless, you'd send the credentials each time. If you use the above method, you'd do that using basic authentication, which is supported automatically be all web browsers.

If you don't like the credentials sent on every request (the main problem with that is security. If you're not using SSL/TLS to encrypt the session, the more times you send the credentials, the more likely they'd be intercepted...) Then you could do something like generate a unique session ID on the first request, and then re-send that with each subsequent request. That's not 100% stateless, and would require a lot more work, but it does give you more control over how the authentication process works (because in this case you would not let Apache handle it, you'd do it all yourself i your Cobol or other HLL code.)

But, from what I've seen letting Apache handle it suffices for most business applications. And using SSL/TLS protects the contents, so the danger of being intercepted becomes a non-issue.... and it's a lot easier that way.

2) I'm sure there must be some performance hit, since it has to look up the credentials with each request -- but, honestly, it's been so fast for me that I have never noticed it.

Good luck