From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:31 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] IBM i authentication and RESTful web service design

Kelly,

Regarding additional resources, I have begun documenting our web portal. It is far from complete. Most of the hyperlinks are just placeholders for future use. The URL is a temporary address. But the "Introduction" section has content which is geared toward developers. Feel free to peruse.

http://www.radile.com:9220/rdweb/info/home.html?page=ptl/intro/intro.html&toc=ptl/toc.html

Based on previous conversations, some may be confused by your use of the term "web services". My understanding is that you're interested in developing "web applications", having browser user interfaces.

As "web applications" grow in complexity, how and where you manage state, and particularly whether you manage state on the client or the server is an important architectural consideration.

For complex applications which support browser user interfaces, it is better to manage state on the server, in my opinion.

The Fielding dissertation on REST, is geared toward simple (basic) services for non-browser clients.