From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:41 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Reverse Proxy for Node.JS on IBM i

+1 Nathan...the thing that has made a "pure" i solution so viable is
that the web frontend of most apps is HTML5/CSS/JS because it is the best overall solution that meets the variety of devices that will need to display the web page. A well designed, responsive web app will basically be HTML5/CSS/JS all of which is easily served by Apache on i.
The business logic that manages the data should naturally reside on i (why have two tiers of business logic on two platforms?). So that is where I end up scratching my head on ASP/i hybrid apps. What does ASP bring to the party that can't be efficiently handled on i?

I work in a non-IBM i shop but the heavy lifting that ASP does is more closely aligned with the MSSQL DB than anything else. Otherwise I could move the Java/PHP code we have to i. ASP has a place in a shop where MS has been the "legacy" app development provider but I have always struggled to understand why in an IBM i centric shop other web technologies displace what is already available on i.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java