Hi John

Just curious - what are the 2 processes? The QShell approach is just one CL command callable from the RPG, if desired.

Thx
Vern

On 8/6/2014 10:24 AM, Voris, John wrote:
On 05-Aug-2014 15:51 -0500, Buddy McClean wrote:
<<SNIP>>
FTP is putting files in a directory and I want to know the name
so I can read via xml-into.
Actually, FTP has its own flat file listing capability too

typically, the steps are . . . .

CHGCURLIB mylib

FTP 127.0.0.1

ls <directory> (DISK

Buddy McClean wrote:
The LS [and DIR which has its own (DISK option and output to
*CURLIB/DIROUTPUT.DIROUTPUT] is a client feature;
Using a connection of 127.0.0.1 points the server back to itself.
which is why I included it = the LS command in FTP *is* acting as a client (127.0.0.1 is the home server).

This FTP LS command is the same as the UNIX or QSH qshell command.

If in the future, it is a diligent junior programmer maintaining the script,
they would pull the manual for FTP, then need to grab the manual for UNIX-QSH just for the "LS command" to verify their understanding of your process.
In my opinion, using a single FTP process instead of two processes is better - one tool versus two tools in the process.

John Voris www.AgilePhilly.com