On 2014-05-05, at 9:41 AM, Hoteltravelfundotcom <hoteltravelfun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What are some methods to do a simple web screen it could be on a company
server.

It would show the actual shipments that have gone out till that point in
time.

it would get this data from one table on the ibm i, already summarized.
so we would show something like

Order type Total shipments
ABC 100
DEF 200

etc.

Before we can discuss whether we want a jacuzzi or a walk-in shower, we
need to talk about the plumbing. The first question you need to answer
is this: What is your intended web server? Is it a Windows server, a
Linux server or the i? Who controls the configuration of that server?
Do you have a way you can deploy your web application by yourself, or
will you need to involve a formal change management person?

The reason these questions are interesting is simple: If your company
has an existing web programming group who handle even your intranet
needs, then you might be facing an uphill struggle to be the newbie
amateur trying to deploy a .NET application to a production server.
Might. If your company forces all the web development to go through the
web people then your job will probably be to create some stored
procedures for them to consume. They love result sets. (Seriously.)

If your company hasn't got an established policy for intranet
development and you are forging the path, you have many avenues open to
you. I myself like to do it all on the i side because I control the
configuration, I control the deployment, I control the access and I can
debug each and every one of those parts from my desk. I'd still write
stored procedures to isolate the DB layer from the UI layer. You'll
love result sets. (Seriously.)

If you're a better .NET programmer than I am, and you have reasonably
free access to a Windows web server (do they still call it IIS?) then by
all means do it that way. Write .NET that runs on the server and have
it call stored procedures that you write on the i side.
--buck