Thanks to everyone for their responses. I contacted IBM, but since IBM AIX
Toolbox for Linux Applications is not officially supported, the support
rep. didn't offer much help. He did refer me to this link on rsync, which
was useful and got me thinking:

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/rsync.htm

My original understanding was that for rysnc to work on IBM i with a
remote client, it had to run in daemon mode, but that is not necessarily
case. Rsync will work in conjunction with the SSH daemon running on the
server, which is probably better and more secure. I created a file on my
Mac OS X machine, opened a terminal and then ran the following command:

rsync [OPTION...] SRC... [USER@]HOST:DEST

E.g., rsync test.txt blake@webserver:/home/blake

I checked the directory in the IFS on the web server, and the file was
there. Then I tried syncing a directory from my Mac, and that worked as
well. I am still learning all the ins and outs of rsync, but for my
purposes, I think I have what I need -- syncing files and folders both
locally on the server and remotely to the server. My guess is that I could
easily automate synchronization with SSH keys, though I haven't tried that
yet. The only caveat with this method is that it requires sshd running on
the IBM i server.

Blake